Thursday, February 19, 2009

Pros & Cons

Pros of SAT issue: SAT/ACT scores should be considered by college admission officers



  • Standardized testing is practical
  • Teaches practical skills needed for college
  • Offsets grade inflation
  • Graded without bias because it is graded by a machine.

Cons of SAT issue: Should NOT be required by colleges as a determining factor of a prospective student's acceptance.

  • Standardized testing is biased against certain groups.
  • Adds too much stress to students' lives.
  • Hinders creative thinking

Currently being edited

3 comments:

  1. This issue is really interesting, because I also agree that there should not be standardized testing. I'm not sure how they can test everyone in the same way and then use that to determine their different paths in life. What do you think would be an alternative to standardized testing if they did take it away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering..since you say that the tests are graded without bias, how is it still biased against certain groups? I agree with the fact that it's stressful and actually puts a great amount of pressure on students. The SAT's have created the image that we NEED to do well on them or our chances on going to a good college are slim. I also would like to comment on Rachel's question on what you think would be a beneficial alternative to standardized testing. In the end, would a new kind of testing help more than standardized tests? Can you guarantee this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still currently adding onto this blog so I didn't get to elaborate on your questions.

    To Lucy:

    When I say that standardized testing is biased against certain groups, I am referring to the fact that some questions on the SAT's pertain more to wealthier students (i.e. Rich kids are more likely to know what a "regatta" is than a poorer student from an inner city school).

    To Rachel:

    Since this is an incomplete blog, I wasn't able to write out my stance on the issue. It is not so much that I want to ban standardized tests but, rather, reduce its importance to college admission.

    ReplyDelete